Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Chapter 10- Home Sweet Home

CHAPTER 10-HOME SWEET HOME
After they had left the salon, they returned to their homes. It took them a while to remember where they lived, but they eventually got there. Midnight ran up to her room and shut the door. She drew the curtains shut. She turned off every light she could find in her room until it was pitch black. Then she sat down at the computer and began to work on the novel she was writing.
It was about a queen who had six daughters (she had included her and her friends as the daughters) and the queen had powers to control the elements. She had a counselor/fortune teller named Martha, who was really a bad guy. One day an alien race came and took the queen away. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ “Aqua! Aqua, Where are you?”
“I’m in my room, mom. The same place where I’ve been for the past three hours!”
“We have to leave for dance lessons in ten minutes! Make sure you’re ready!”
Aqua groaned. If there was one thing she hated, it was ballet. But she could never tell her mother that. Her mother had been a ballet dancer all her life and wanted her daughter to follow in her footsteps. That’s not what Aqua wanted at all. Aqua wanted to be a drawer.
“There’s no money to be made as an artist,” her mother would say. “You can’t perform art, you can’t join a drawing troupe. You can do all that with dance. Ballet is your future, sweetie.” Why didn’t she listen?
Aqua hated dance with a passion. The worst of all was those sparkly little outfits. She hated all things sparkly. She would rather swim or draw, her to favorite things to do. She pulled her notebook out from under her mattress, but was interrupted by a bang on the door.
“Come in,” she yelled.
Her mother burst through the door. She looked at the notebook.
“What’cha drawing? I thought I told you to get ready.”
Aqua hurriedly dropped the notebook somewhere behind her bed where her mother wouldn’t see it. “Nothing,” she said. “I’m ready.”
“Then let’s go! Go get in the car, I’ll be there in a minute- I need to check my e-mail.”
It would supposedly take just a minute, but then they would end up being late. It happened every time.
“I’ll be waiting in my room,” Aqua said quietly, hoping her mother wouldn't notice.
“No, no, I’ll just be a minute.”
Aqua sighed, getting ready for the longest minute of her life.

No comments: